Thursday, February 16, 2012

The way I WANT to parent

It went down like this; Austin said some MEAN things about his sister because he didn't want to read her a story.  I took a deep breath, focused myself, and told him Jesus wouldn't have treated you like that.  He replied with "yes he would".  I said, "No, sir.  He would love you, because you are special".  He tried to tell me that Natalie had done some really bad things and I retorted with "well so have you".  Austin told me how he really never like Natalie, ever since she was a baby, and so on.  I kept my cool and calmly excused Austin for bed time.  Early. 

About a half an hour later, he came down the stairs, crying, with crocodile tears running down his face.  He apologized to Natalie, giving her a HUGE hug.  Now THAT'S how it should be.  I was SO HAPPY to see this happen. 

Now, I know it's not always going to be like that, but I will savor this moment.  I know he's capable of doing it, and so am I.  <3

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!! Not easy to keep your cool all the time. And it's hard to hear one child say mean things to/about another. Parenting is hard, isn't it? I was just thinking of writing a post about that today...

    ReplyDelete